10 Things to do in Athlone
This is our first blog post and to begin we have decided to start on something that we are asked by many of guests, what is there to do in this area and with Easter just around the corner we thought why not put a list together of the top things we recommend. Therefore to try and help our guests make their next stay and break away that bit more enjoyable we have put together what we believe is the best things to do in Athlone and surroundings area’s for families. We have tried to include everything that we believe reflects Ireland’s Hidden Heartland’s and Ireland’s Ancient East.
- Athlone Castle: Located across from the beautiful Athlone Gallery, Athlone Castle overlooks the river Shannon in. Athlone Castle has plenty to do for all the family. With a human size chess board, costumes for all ages to dress up, a 13th Century Castle full of fun and history what more could you want.
- Glendeer Pet Farm: Situated in the countryside Glendeer Pet Farm is a family run far with animals of all different types from Emu’s, Monkeys, Puppies, Alpaca’s and so much more. There is a play area for the kids and a lovely coffee shop if the kids want to run and play whilst you get some time off.
- Shop till you drop: If you want some me time what better way to treat yourself than some retail therapy. With Athlone Town Centre and Golden Island Shopping Centre just a 2 minute walk from each other you can’t go wrong. With Shops like Zara, H&M, M&S, Penney’s and Lifestyle Sport to name a few.
- Food & Drink: Athlone has become a very prominent are not just filled with beautiful things to do and see but also to eat and drink. We are so lucky to have so many great places in one place, click here for our top recommended bars and restaurants. Down in the medieval side of Athlone Town (around Athlone Castle) there is Ireland’s Oldest pub Sean’s Bar known for its live music, great atmosphere and old world vibes you are guaranteed a great pint! With plenty of restaurants surrounding Sean’s Bar you will be spoilt for choice. A popular choice close to Sean’s Bar is that of Kin Khoa Restaurant a Thai food restaurant. Looking for a good food, Irish Craft beer and a beautiful view? Look no further than Dead Centre Brewing, a personal favourite of ours and perfect for all the family.
5. Clonmacnoise: There are two ways to can visit Clonmacnoise, the first is by car, Clonmacnoise is located in Shannonbridge, Co. Offaly and is about half an hour from Athlone. Secondly you can catch the wellknown Viking Boat Tours that cruise along the Shannon and stop off at Clonmacnoise – a lovely experience especially at sunset. The Monastic Site is located on the banks of the Shannon and is renowned throughout the country for its three high crosses and its informative visitor centre.
6. Kilbeggan Distillery: For over 200 years Kilbeggan Distillery has been in place, run historically by the town of Kilbeggan when it shut its doors in the town banded together. The story of the distillery and how the famous Whiskey has been made for years is told.
7. Lough Boora: Is a beauty in itself from the wildlife, the scenic views of the bog lands, the forest walks, stone pyramid, man-made lakes and the sculpture located around Lough Boora you will have plenty to do and see. Not to mention the bikes you can rent, the cafe and its magical fairy fort hidden in the forest every corner offers something different.
8. Lough Key: If you love adventure, excitement and the great outdoors all bundled together look no further. Lough Key Forest Park has everything from Zip lining, Boda Borg, Playrooms, walk/cycle trails, Segway, orienteering and so much more. A Brilliant day out to suit all of your family and just an hour from our hotel.
9. Bay Sports: Another Activity if you are in Athlone that should not be missed, brilliant for everyone and great enjoyment. Bay Sports is Ireland’s largest inflatable park according to Guinness World Records. Included in Bay Sport is Kayaking, Junior Park and The Water Park itself.
10. Jump Lanes & Jump Zone: Unfortunately there are days where we cannot discover the great our doors and all it has to offer therefore we have included some activities located two minutes from our hotel that keep the kids entertainment. Jump Lanes has large trampolines where the kids can burn some energy whilst hopping and bouncing around. Jump4Joy will have you busy for the day with bumper cars,an indoor soccer area, a massive play area, bouncing area and more.
Thanks a million for reading our post and we hope you will keep an out for more of our post that we have coming in the future.
If you have any questions or would like to get booked in you can contact myself on email@example.com or call 090644 4444.