10 THINGS TO DO IN ATHLONE
Athlone, a vibrant town in the heart of the Midlands has so much to offer and we know you want to get the most out of your time while staying at the Athlone Springs Hotel & Leisure Club.
With that said, we have put together a comprehensive list of what are some of the most popular activities nearby to visit and experience during your stay.
- ATHLONE CASTLE: Located across from the beautiful Athlone Gallery, Athlone Castle overlooks the River Shannon. Athlone Castle has plenty to do for all the family. With a human size chess board, costumes for all ages to dress up, a 13th Century Castle full of fun and history what more could you want!
- GLENDEER PET FARM: Situated in the countryside, Glendeer Pet Farm is a family run farm with animals of all different types from Emu’s, Puppies, Alpaca’s and so much more. There is a play area for the kids and a lovely coffee shop if the kids want to run and play whilst you get some time off.
- SHOP TILL YOU DROP: If you want some me time what better way to treat yourself than some retail therapy. With Athlone Town Centre and Golden Island Shopping Centre just a 2 minute walk from each other you can’t go wrong. With Shops like Zara, H&M, M&S, Penney’s and Lifestyle Sport to name a few.
- FOOD & DRINK: Athlone has become a very prominent area not just filled with beautiful things to do and see but also to eat and drink. We are so lucky to have so many great places in one place, click here for our top recommended bars and restaurants. Down in the medieval side of Athlone Town (around Athlone Castle) there is Ireland’s Oldest pub Sean’s Bar known for its live music, great atmosphere and old world vibes you are guaranteed a great pint! With plenty of restaurants surrounding Sean’s Bar you will be spoilt for choice. A popular choice close to Sean’s Bar is that of Kin Khoa Restaurant a Thai food restaurant. Looking for good food, Irish Craft beer and a beautiful view? Look no further than Dead Centre Brewing, a personal favourite of ours and perfect for all the family.
5. CLONMACNOISE: There are two ways to can visit Clonmacnoise, the first is by car, Clonmacnoise is located in Shannonbridge, Co. Offaly and is about half an hour from Athlone. Secondly you can catch the well-known Viking Boat Tours that cruise along the Shannon and stop off at Clonmacnoise – a lovely experience especially at sunset. The Monastic Site is located on the banks of the Shannon and is renowned throughout the country for its three high crosses and its informative visitor centre.
6. KILBEGGAN DISTILLERY: For over 200 years Kilbeggan Distillery has been in place. When it shut its doors, the town banded together and it has been run historically by the town of Kilbeggan since. The story of the distillery and how the famous Whiskey has been made for years is told.
7. LOUGH BOORA: Is a beauty in itself, from the wildlife, the scenic views of the bog lands, the forest walks, stone pyramid, man-made lakes and the sculpture located around Lough Boora you will have plenty to do and see. Not to mention the bikes you can rent, the café and its magical fairy fort hidden in the forest, every corner offers something different.
8. LOUGH KEY: If you love adventure, excitement and the great outdoors all bundled together look no further. Lough Key Forest Park has everything from Zip lining, Boda Borg, Playrooms, walk/cycle trails, Segway, orienteering and so much more. A Brilliant day out to suit all of your family and just an hour from our hotel.
9. BAY SPORTS: Another Activity if you are in Athlone that should not be missed, brilliant for everyone and great enjoyment. Bay Sports is Ireland’s largest inflatable park according to Guinness World Records. Included in Bay Sports is Kayaking, Junior Park and The Water Park itself.
10. JUMP LANES & JUMP ZONE: For the days where we cannot discover the great outdoors and all it has to offer, we have included some activities located two minutes from our hotel that keep the kids entertained. Jump Lanes has large trampolines where the kids can burn some energy whilst hopping and bouncing around. Jump4Joy will have you busy for the day with bumper cars, an indoor soccer area, a massive play area, bouncing area and more.
Athlone’s latest indoor entertainment center Elevate has arrived, promising a “level of entertainment never seen in this country”.
Start planning your next break away to Athlone and make it memorable in the Midlands. Call us on 090 644 4444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.